Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One Proud Mama

I am so often looking at other babies Suzie's age and am so amazed at all they can do. They so easily flip around from sitting, to push themselves onto their hands and knees, to crawling, back to sitting, to standing, to cruising, back to sitting, etc. They are super flexible and make all this moving around look so easy. For Suzie, these things that most babies just naturally learn to do are a huge challenge for her. Her therapists spend hours a week trying to just get her to tolerate staying on her hands and knees. Getting her to just keep her hands open has been an obstacle. I'm sure most parents are so proud of their babies any time they learn a new trick. But for people who have children with any kind of disability or delay, I think we get proud at even the smallest bit of progress, because for these kids, the small things are really huge!! I have just been so incredibly proud of my little girl lately. She is so expressive, curious, and learning so much all the time. I am proud that she is starting to stick her little tush in the air when she army crawls. I'm proud that she throws things with both hands now (although it’s usually inadvertent with her right hand). I’m proud every time she grabs for something with her right hand. And I’m so proud that she has now begun signing “more” when she wants more of something! Suzie is a little miracle, a precious gift from God. The doctors told us that she would be moderately to severely mentally and physically disabled due to the extent of the brain damage that she has suffered. So we are so thankful to God for His grace in allowing her to progress so much, and so proud of her for every little new thing she does.

Here is a little video of her with her latest trick.

video

I also want to make a quick mention of how proud I am of my wonderful husband. This weekend we went to San Diego as Kyle was the guest speaker for a retreat for a small church in Cerritos. He spoke on how we need to use spiritual disciplines for victorious Christian living. He did such a wonderful job and was such a blessing to the people. We had a great time as a family and I'm so thankful that God gave me such a wonderful husband and Suzie such a great dad!

5 comments:

Joyful said...

Wow--that's so great! I love it. FYI: I think Grant was a little older than Suzie before he was able to sign "more." Very impressive!

Hua said...

Hello!

It is great to hear that Suzie is progressing so fast! She is such a amazing little girl!

With your blog, I feel that you can help those who seek knowledge and encouragement about Children's Health on Wellsphere.com, which currently receives over 6 million visitors a month. Wellsphere.com has a large and growing HealthBlogger community of over 2,600 bloggers who motivate and support each other.

Feel free to check out the HeathBlogger Network at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Keep Blogging/Keep up the good work,
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks

Karyn Hughes said...

So proud of her, too. What a testimony to the goodness of God. She's doing great!

Kristine said...

Suzie is amazing! AND such a beautiful little girl! :)

I know how you feel when watching other kids. I'm okay with it 90% of the time, but it's the other 10% that really breaks my heart sometimes.

Holly said...

Oh now this is just so precious!!! I love it!! She truly is a miracle, a precious gift from God. She is growing & doing so much, I am so happy for you guys. What proud parents you are, I know!! I am impressed by her signing...I am terribly inconsistent with signing with Addison, hence, she doesn't sign. Totally my fault...so kudos to you for your consistency and perseverance!! Good work Steph!!