Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Good Samaritan

Yesterday, I was reminded of the parable of the good Samaritan. The world rarely sees such generosity from people as is demonstrated by the man in this parable. He goes above and beyond common charity by paying a great amount to help a man he doesn't even know, who would consider him an enemy. Yesterday, my family was touched by such generosity.

Yesterday, Suzie had her check up with the pediatrician. When Kyle was going to run out earlier in the day, he found that our car battery had died. We figured I had just left the door open and so we got a jump start and everything seemed fine. When I arrived at the doctor's office in Pasadena, I found that the door locks wouldn't work. I tried to start the car and it had died again. I had no idea what to do, so I called Kyle as Suzie and I headed in to see the doctor. Kyle called me back a few minutes later and said he got a hold of a dear man from Grace who worked about a block away from where we were. Agop was excited for the opportunity to help out as he delights in serving the Lord. Though he hardly knew us, he had shown us so much kindness when Suzie was in the hospital, and Kyle knew his heart would delight in ministering to us again. I called Agop as soon as our appointment was over and he showed up about 3 minutes later with a huge smile on his face. He gave me a jump start and told me to follow him to a gas station right down the street. When we got there, he spoke with the attendant who told him he wanted to charge the battery for a half an hour to see if the battery or alternator that needed to be replaced. Agop brought me back to the dry cleaners where he works, told me to sit down, brought me an ice cold iced tea, and said he would take care of checking on the car for me. Suzie was quite content there (once I stripped her down to her diaper because it was very a very warm day!) So we sat there and I thanked God for showing us his kindness through Agop. Agop went back to work and said he would run over there and check it out for me in a half an hour. He said that if the car needed to stay for a while, he would loan me his car to drive back to Santa Clarita. But his thoughtfulness does not end there. An hour later, he came driving up to the cleaners in our car. He had paid for the battery replacement and would not allow me to pay him back. He simply said, "Praise the Lord!" And praise God we did. We were so humbled by his example of love and I was reminded of how much God loves and cares for us. I hope this story blesses your soul, and encourages you, as it did us, to be generous and lavishly pour out Christ's love on others.

No comments: